gammaraybots Tom Torrey: The troll bridge day 5 making the troll

Sunday, November 22, 2009

The troll bridge day 5 making the troll




So now that your sculpted body pieces are baked it is time to make the body. One of the good things about three dimensional illustration is This piece does not have to have any kind of permanence after it is photographed. It is then o.k. to use less than permanent materials. I choose to make a lot of my stuff out of pink sheet foam insulation. I know it isn't a green material but when I can get my hands on a similar material that does the same as the pink I will make the change. You can use tons of different tools to work on this stuff. It can be cut sanded painted plastered carved you name it. It can look very rough or super smooth. For his body i cut out 2 pieces of foam and hot glued together. I use a hot glue gun because it is not permanent and it is quick. One note on this if the glue is too hot it will melt the foam and ruin the structure. I don't have a 2 level glue gun so what I do is let it heat up and then unplug it and use it on the way down. At the highest setting all it does is melt the foam. Take good care of yourself also. Don't sand this without a respirator and good ventilation. You don't want to get this dust into your lungs. After you get the back and leg pieces together start to smooth and shape. I have an old electric knife for this you can do it with any knife. Get the base smoothed out and fit the head and hands on it to see if the proportions are how you like them.
I have chosen the materials for the toll's clothing and put them aside. I begin to cut and fit the cloth to create a t-shirt and collared shirt for it. Working in layers start fitting and gluing the
materials on.
Tomorrow..... More work on the fearsome troll.

No comments: