gammaraybots Tom Torrey: The troll bridge day 4 lets bake your head

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The troll bridge day 4 lets bake your head



Its now time to bake the sculpey pieces. I use a toaster oven for this. I have read many opinions about this step but I am going to tell you what technique I use and works best for me. I put the toaster on a very low setting like 250 degrees. Put foil on a toasting pan and line it with fiberfill (the stuffing you fill teddy bears with). This ensures that the sculpture won't touch the pan melt and leave a flat spot on the bottom.
I go for the low heat more time solution. The box says 15 minutes for each ¼ inch of clay thickness at 275 degrees. I tend to let it bake for a long time. You have to keep an eye on it however. it can burn at higher temps. It turns black like a turkey leg left in too long. It should be a nice ruddy pink color when it comes out. Take care on small pieces. If you have small details it is possible to shield them from the heat. You can wrap them with foil to protect them. This is a process that you have to keep your eye on. Don't set the oven to bake and clean out the basement. It has to be watched and tended to for better results. I have overcooked sculpey before. Don't take sculpey out when it is done let it cool in the toaster oven. It should cool slowly so it doesn't crack.
tomorrow..... I start on the body

No comments: