gammaraybots Tom Torrey: The troll bridge day 3 -starting the sculpt

Friday, November 20, 2009

The troll bridge day 3 -starting the sculpt




I start the sculpting process by preparing the clay. You need to get it warm in your hands. I have heard people putting it into a microwave for a minute to get it warm. I just squish it in my hand. Fresh clay is important. Before you buy it take a look at it and make sure it is not all dried out. Old clay is brittle and very hard. Old sculpey is bad to work with. Fresh is best. I take a rolled out piece of clay and wrap it around the tin foil ball pinching and smoothing. I like to work by addition. Some people like subtraction sculpting taking layers off and smoothing. I like to add detail and smooth the edges to it blends together. I add the mouth and the teeth. Sculpey is very forgiving. It's not like kiln fire clay. As long as the pieces are stuck together you should be o.k. You don't have to spend all kinds of time scoring the edges and smashing these things together. I like to use a printers roller to smooth large areas. It works great and makes quick work of bumps and lines. After the details are added I switch to the rubber tipped tools for details and final smoothing. The hands are next and are made of solid sculpey. They will be thin enough to not take hours in the oven.
Tomorrow Proper oven firing.....

No comments: