gammaraybots Tom Torrey: The troll bridge day 2 getting materials together

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The troll bridge day 2 getting materials together




After the sketch is done I am going to concentrate on The main figure. The troll is the central character and is key to the image. I gathered my tools. These can be anything traditional to objects that you would never think of to sculpt the clay. I swear by these rubber tipped clay tools they make smoothing so much easier. I am using super sculpey. This is my favorite sculpting clay by the way. It is expensive but I haven't been able to find anything that can match it.
I begin with the head a good starting point. The face will carry much of the emotion so getting the details of it is key. I use aluminum foil as many do for the base of the head. Ball it up and shape it as needed. Remember to make it a bit smaller than the head is to be. If you make it too large and then cover it with clay it may be larger than you had intended. The foil is going to serve a couple of purposes. It is going to make the sculpture much lighter and when you get to the baking stage the bake time will be much less. Also less clay means it lasts longer. At 13.00 a box it can start to add up.
Tomorrow the sculpt begins!

No comments: